Every once and a while I get asked how I came up with the name ‘Miss Victory Violet’ and if I have any tips for ladies wanting to have a pinup name of their own.
Back in 2012 I was doing A LOT of Lindy Hop/ Swing Dancing and one day the ladies of the Cinnamon Sweethearts asked if I could join the troupe, learn a routine and perform it with them in a week! Luckily the routine was pretty basic ‘bob and smile’ type stuff, but I also had to come up with a name!
So where do you start with deciding on a name? I’ll admit, I tried a couple of name generators but the always end up sounding pretty generic or just downright tacky!
I wanted something that represented my style and who I was and I starting throwing around the word ‘victory’. At the time, I was only just starting to get good at vintage hair and basically my everyday hair was victory rolls with my bettie bangs. I liked how ‘victory’ referred to that but it also wasn’t too overly ‘pretty’!
I knew that I needed something else and I liked the idea of it being another word starting with V to make it sound good (and I love alliteration)! My bosses daughter’s middle name is Violet and since purple is my favourite colour and the name Violet is a old fashioned name, I settled on Victory Violet.
It was a few months after that I decided to add the ‘Miss’ to make it sound a little more like a name.
Here are my tips for figuring out your pinup name-
– Try to make it unique to you/ have a meaning behind it. Start with brainstorming words about what represents you, your style and your personality and go from there.
– Play around with your real name, middle name, grandmothers name. My grandmothers names were Iris and Josie, and my middle name is Jane so I initially started with those names in the brainstorming process.
– Avoid the overdone names like Marilyn, Betty and Cherry.
– Once you decide on something, search it in google, Instagram, Facebook, twitter and anything else you can think of to make sure it’s not already in use!
– If you can’t get inspired, then your real name will be just fine! Use it in conjunction with your middle name, add a ‘Miss’ at the start, combine it with a word that represents you or just a word that sounds good!
It’s really fun to have a pinup name especially if you think you might enter pinup pageants one day or get into pinup modelling. I never expected to be where I am today and it all started when I choose my name!
x Miss Victory Violet